10 Things You Didn’t Know About Tori Kelly
For many, Tori Kelly is a shining star that came out of nowhere but fans know differently. The Grammy nominee fought long and hard to be where she is and there’s no denying that the 23-year-old singer deserves all of the success surrounding her debut album, Unbreakable Smile. Here are 10 things you might not know about music’s latest ‘it’ girl!
1. Kelly fought for her achievements.
Kelly worked her tail off to get where she is. Kelly was on “Star Search,” and by the age of 11 she beat out Hunter Hayes for the win on “America’s Most Talented Kids” in 2004. Finally, she appeared on season nine of “American Idol” at just 16. Though Kelly didn’t make it past the top 24 to the live shows, she was insulted by Simon Cowell on her journey. I think we can all agree that she came out with the better end of that bargain.
2. She was ‘discovered’ on YouTube.
Once Kelly was booted from “American Idol,” she began posting covers on YouTube. Scooter Braun, who also manages Justin Bieber and Ariana Grande, saw Kelly on YouTube in 2013. She had management at the time but was dissatisfied with her representation and soon moved on. Because of managers that had let her down she was skeptical of Braun at first, but it appears everything worked out for the best!
3. Her logo is more than just a feather.
— Tori Kelly (@ToriKelly) February 21, 2015
Kelly’s feather logo is actually a feather quill. She relates the quill to songwriting. The quill also represents her favorite Bible verse – Psalm 91:4, “He will cover you with his feathers, and under his winds you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.”
4. Her faith is something that she holds very close to her heart.
Kelly finds Christian music to be emotional and passionate. She grew up listening to gospel music and tries to echo those feelings in her own music. Bible verses give her inspiration and she’s said that she often has them as the wallpaper on her phone – you can also see them posted frequently on her social media accounts and listed in the bio sections.
5. She made Sam Smith cry.
6. Her family is musical and diverse.
my beautiful parents celebrated 23 years of marriage today. inspirational.
and nice mullet, dad pic.twitter.com/QKmWfUKNHV
— Tori Kelly (@ToriKelly) March 3, 2014
Kelly’s mother is of Irish and German descent and plays the piano and saxophone. Her father is Puerto Rican and Jamaican, sings and is a bassist. Needless to say, she gets her talent and good looks from them!
7. She admits that her true love is food.
She has ‘cheat’ days that we all envy and documents them on social media for us to see. Be honest, food is your true love too.
8. She’s very active on social media.
9. Her favorite word is ‘supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.’
Just call her a regular Mary Poppins.
10. Kelly is definitely team Adam on “The Voice.”
While she performed at the season nine finale, Kelly has joined on as the advisor for Adam Levine’s team for season 10. Those contestants are lucky to have her!
- 9 Of The Best Acoustic Songs - August 25, 2016
- The Suicide Squad’s Favorite Songs - August 12, 2016
- 45 Female Power Anthems in Honor of Hillary Rodham Clinton at The DNC - July 28, 2016
- Game of Fame: Taylor Swift vs. Kanye West continues - July 21, 2016
- 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Tori Kelly - May 24, 2016